IDEA is a powerful BIM Architectural Software that combines the userfriendly interface with a sophisticated BIM technology. IDEA meets the entire needs of the Architect regarding model creation, high quality photorealism and virtual walkthrough. Now IDEA 10 redefines the AEC industry standards, by introducing a new BIM generation built on the top of the 4MCAD functionality and affordability.
There is no question, IDEA 10 is a very good friend for every Architect not only for its numerous advantages, but also because it is an inexpensive solution with almost negligible costs regarding training, support and maintenance. Some new features of the new IDEA10 include:
• Advanced BIM structure to continuously update the project drawings (sections, views, perspectives, etc) while keeping anyinterventions made by the user (insertion of library items, text, annotation, etc).
• Project drawings smart explorer (tree-view browser of the drawings).
• Faster rendering performances based on OpenGL, as well as real time virtual walk through of the rendered model.
• Enhanced roof modeler with unlimited options to design any type of roof structure and add components such as attics, lofts, skylights, inclined openings and many others.
• Intelligent design to create even more building entities (i.e. chimneys, pergolas and others).
• Significant improvements regarding architectural design refinements (i.e. smart automatic unions between building objects only if necessary, optional hiding of the wall/slab lines on the views or sections, object definition through polylines in every dialog, etc), as well as the topographical design (fully automatic creation of triangles to create the ground model).
• Unrivaled performance due to the brand new high speed 4MCAD 12 engine.
Other new enhancements include: new interface, properties panel, polar tracking, and many others.
Architectural Design with IDEA
IDEA's BIM Structure gives limitless freedom during designing on the 3D building models. The real time display of the model transformations, while the modifications are being done, enables the user to focus absolutely on the design process itself, thus avoiding time-consuming drawing tasks. By defining or editing any building element (or even entire building components), all the 2D-3D building drawings are immediately updated and correctly presented.
Walls & Openings
IDEA allows the native application of all the Standard AutoCAD commands (copy, move, trim, break, mirror, extend, copy-paste etc) directly to any building object (walls, openings, slabs, beams, columns etc), as well as the native use of the usual CAD Editing Tools (grips, “right button -> properties” etc) to any building object. Every creation or modification updates all the drawings in real time through the smart project drawing explorer (tree-view browser).
There is no limit to the user's freedom and no restriction to work on every aspect of the real building model (i.e. on the ground-plan, on a 3D view or even on a facade, cross-section or a perspective). IDEA’s advanced BIM structure results to continuously update the project drawings (sections, views, perspectives, etc) while also keeping updated any other intervention made by the user on the layout (insertion of library items, text, annotation, etc). As a result, over the design process, the user has the full control and supervision of the whole building and its parts, as far as both are considered, a) the real 3D model itself, and b) the project drawings.
Composite Building Elements
IDEA includes a set of sophisticated dialogs and modelers to create slabs, staircases, roofs, rails and vertical or horizontal elements of any type and shape. The parametric behavior of all these structures enables changing most of their properties at any time in the design process.
Among others, IDEA contains:
- Dialog boxes to define and shape beams, columns, slabs and other structural elements
- Staircase modeler to generate even the most complex shapes, along with their parts and accessories.
- Roof modeler with unlimited options to design any type of roof structure and add components such as attics, lofts, skylights, inclined openings and others.
- Dialogs for vertical elements, gables, ramps, rails and many other more specific building entities such as chimneys and pergolas.
Working with IDEA, the user can shape his/her model with practically no limitations, working either on the view plan, any 3D view or even on front views, cross-sections and perspectives, watching at the same time the effects of those interventions. The fact that the user deals with an "intelligent" model is due to the BIM structure of the program. Thanks to this structure, IDEA handles efficiently important aspects of the design & construction processes, such as the bill of materials, the smart topographical functions, even the seamless integration between IDEA and each one of the other 4M Suite software solutions (STRAD & STEEL for Structural Design, FINE for the Building Services – HVAC, Electrical, Sanitary etc), all of them using and referring to the same, standard Building Information Model (4M-BLD file format).
Further to the Parametric Library Generators wherever required (i.e. openings, shutters etc), IDEA also includes a large number of items (objects, accessories, symbols etc) grouped into thematic libraries (Living Room Furniture, Dining Room Furniture, Kitchen Furniture, Office Furniture, Equipment, Plants etc). In addition, through the Dynamic Library Editor, the user can define and create new libraries, edit existing items, or even insert any dwg drawings and convert them into library items.
PhotoIDEA is the photorealism module of IDEA that produces high-quality photorealistic scenes. PhotoIDEA uses a rich library of real materials with texture (e.g. marble, wood, stone, carpets etc), which can be selected and adjusted properly if necessary. Given that all the material information is natively embedded within the building object attributes, the whole process is fast and easy and the results immediately visible on screen by just clicking on the mouse. The ability of selecting and editing materials from the rich program library, the positioning of the lighting sources, the background selection, the use of photographic objects, as well as many other options and settings are all performed in a friendly and fast way through the "PhotoIDEA" group of commands.
Animation - Virtual Reality -
WalkIDEA is the virtual reality module of IDEA, generating walking through scenarios in a very simple manner: Any virtual "trip" can be stored as an avi file. More than a simple walk, the "WalkIDEA" group of commands allow many other visual effects, such as the ascension of a staircase, the option to open a door while "walking" etc. In addition, WalkIDEA can offer the experience of a 4D stereoscopic reality through a pair of stereo glasses.
(*)Autocad and AutoLISP are products and trademark of Autodesk Company.